Skip to main content

Growth Mindset, "Not Yet"


Growth Mindset


The Growth Mindset.  I have never heard of the growth mindset or Carol Dweck until now. I can understand why people support her ideas and learning tools. These videos bring a whole new world to kids and some adults who have seen learning or work one way their whole life. She thinks outside of the box and beyond.

I would love to take what I have learned from these videos and apply it to the subjects that I am struggling with. If we all keep working at a certain task or subject, I believe that we can all have the "not yet" perspective on life.

I was diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago. Before transferring to OU, classes were not that difficult for me at previous colleges. When I came to OU, I realized that I do not understand more difficult concepts as fast as everyone else. My short term memory is also lacking and memorization can be tough. But when I look at subjects with a more positive view than the alternative, I tend to do better. I enjoy studying accounting and like the difficulty, but it can be discouraging when I may struggle more than my classmates.

I will be very interested to learn about the growth mindset more during this semester.

Comments

  1. Hi Tabi! I agree with you that if we all keep working at a certain task we can all excel and achieve something if we put in the work. Growth mindset is definitely something that can be beneficial to all students, no matter what their major may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabi,
    I think you make an excellent point in acknowledging that the growth mindset is useful for students of all ages, kids or adults. I think that, especially at the university level, we have this conception that the average student is under the age of 22 when that simply isn’t the case. Reframing how we think about students is key to instructors accessing growth mindset pedagogies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Tales from the Myth Comments
My name is Tabitha Carroll. I normally go by Tabi. My major is now marketing. I switched majors this semester from accounting. I have an associates degree in accounting, Spanish, and psychology. I would say that the most interesting thing about my major is that I get to study people and their behaviors. I have always been somewhat of a people watcher, not in a creepy way, but just fascinated by interactions some people have. I have learned quite a bit about people by doing it. I would have to say that this class last semester was my favorite. I did not get to finish due to a close family member passing away, but I enjoyed what I was able to do. I worked the majority of my break at O’Connell’s, where I still work now, so I did not get to do much over the break. IZombie, Supernatural, Dexter, The Punisher, and This is Us are just a few of my favorite TV shows. Sleeping with Other People is the best movie I have seen recently. I would not judge the movie by its name. It is actually roman

Week 11 Story: Dude's Bowling Ball

Dude "Well, that's just your opinion, man," replied Dude to Jesus.  Jesus was Dude's arch-nemesis. Jesus never believed in Dude's crazy outlandish ideas. Dude was an open-minded individual, who believed that anything was possible, and Jesus could not stretch his imagination that far. Jesus said, "There is no way that your bowling ball can fall through the sky and into that lava mountain or whatever you call it." Dude retorted, "It's a volcano, bro, and I can make it." Dude and Jesus lived among the clouds and this world is all they have known because for as long as they can remember, the sky people have been scared of the volcano land down below. Dude was different and he believed in magic and bowling. He thought that his bowling ball had magic powers. Walter, his friend, always had Dude's back and let's just say he was the muscle of the two knuckleheads. Walter had a little bit of a temper, so when