Skip to main content

Comment Wall

Tales from the Myth

Comments

  1. Tabitha, I thought your story was very unique to any others I have read in the course, due to the intentional ridiculousness and absurdity. I will admit to having to read it 2 or 3 times in order to gain a full grasp of the story, because I was not prepared for what I was going to read when I went into the page. I think that by explaining that the stories are meant to be completely absurd on the home page of the website would prepare the reader, because once the reader is prepared, the story elements pop out, rather than spending a first read through coming to this realization. Overall, a very fun story to read, with a definitive theme for the individual telling coming through. I hope to see this absurdity theme coming through the rest of the stories in your project, it would be a great unifying concept across all the folktales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tabi! Your first story is over-the top in a great way, and I think your committal to that theme throughout the story is what sells it. It almost feels like a satire of satire itself. The unbreakable bond between Bro and Shopper is commendable and something I think we can all strive for in our friendships. As a heads-up, the link on your homepage to the first story links to your blog instead of to "Chips and Dip".

    Are you going to continue with the comedic theme or will you take the reader for an emotional turn in the next story? I think either route could be great if you have something you think would work well. There are a lot of directions you could go if you chose to develop the characters of Bro and Shopper instead of starting from scratch with your next story. That said, a new set of faces would be fun too. Looking forward to seeing what you pull off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tabitha! I really like your first story, it think that your take or spin on it was completely unexpected and oh so interesting. The absurdism that you injected made it both very humorous and distressing, so good job. I just takes a ridiculed concept and goes 110% committed for the rest of the story. I wish that there was more for me to read, because I did enjoy your first story. Is your portfolio going to have a theme? Or a common style? Are you going to try to use as many as possible to experiment with the process? And will 'the dude' make an appearance at anytime? I really think that this sort of Big Lebowski-esque take on myths would be so interesting to continue and I really look forward to reading more work from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tabi! I loved your story a lot! I really like the way you incorporated dialogue into your story, and I loved the names you gave your characters! It made the story really entertaining, so props on that! I also love how you had Shopper take revenge on Bro by pretending not to see his Prius crushed, but he did not go too far on anything. Instead, Shopper just wanted to teach Bro a lesson about lying and did so efficiently. I like that part because I feel like it is relevant to modern times and how if everyone was honest with each other instead of trying to cover up their mistakes, we'd be in a much better place. Overall, I really love where you are headed with this portfolio! When I was reading your story, I was wondering how old Shopper and Bro were? You don't have to incorporate it into your story, but just a thought if you had the time to do so :) Can't wait to read the rest of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tabi! Loved your first story! This is a side note, but the "Chips and Dip" link on your homepage leads us to your blogger and not your first story. The top right link worked, though! I really liked your story, it took a turn that I didn't expect. I look forward to seeing how you transition from one story to the next, and how you change stories along the way. A little more detail about the main character could be helpful, as I've found that when I include more imagery in my story it's much easier for readers to feel like they're seeing what I'm portraying. It could be interesting to go from satirical to action-packed or sad, or something different than funny (although funny stories are the best). You could always end your storybook with another funny story! All around, great job on this and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tabi!
    I found your first story to be really easy to read and enjoyed reading it. I can see where you had a fun time writing it. It was well written in a relaxed laid back manner, which I enjoyed. You may want to include an image of some embedded in your story or at the end. This just adds to your portfolio. Maybe you can include two guys playing video games, or include a Prius? Either way a picture of some sort could be beneficial.
    While I was reading your story, I was surprised by the plot twist. I wasn't expecting the Prius to kill the old lady next door. Or for the two guys to be completely fine with it, and just wanting more chips and dip. Was this approach similar to the original story? Overall, I enjoyed reading your first story! It was really funny and different, and I look forward to reading other, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tabi,
    My first opinion of the story is that it's ridiculous... in a really good way. You definitely have a knack for satirical writing. It sounded like there were some subtle references to a few college stereotypes that I really enjoyed. However, I could also picture the two as thirty-year-old Comedy Central characters. It might be beneficial to add a little bit of detail about their age there. It could also provide additional comedic value if you explained the reasons behind their nicknames/names. I am curious about Delores and who she was living behind.
    I also liked that the two prized positions were a toothbrush and a Prius... while a human life was inconsequential. This added a nice bit of irony. You're story also definitely made me want to go to Fuzzy's. I look forward to reading more of your stories. Great job and watch out for any falling Priuses out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tabi! I'm excited to read some of your stories! First of all in the story, "Chips and Dip," I would not even think to take the story and turn it in to what you did. That is so creative! I even like how you use a lot of modern slang like "bruh" and "exhaled his vape" because it really emphasizes the humor factor. Also I love that his precious heirloom is his grandpa's denture cleaning brush. That is so funny. These two characters really like to poke fun at each other even when they're getting "revenge." I think you did a really nice take on this story that a lot of people would not even think of. The story is easy to read too which helps the audience out a lot too. Good job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Tabi!

    This is my first time reading your Portfolio, and I honestly don't know what to think of it, which I hope was exactly what you intended! The first story is utterly ridiculous, and well-written in that ridiculousness. I think you did an excellent job of incorporating some social commentary (disrespect for other’s belongings), making fun of your characters (My Little Pony and a used toothbrush), and maintaining a unique and unapologetic style of writing (Bro’s lack of concern for Delores). The references to The Big Lebowski in your second story are awesome; I'm sure that that has never been used before in this class! I also appreciate the amount of detail that you have put into your author's notes, which really helped me understand your interpretations of stories I have not read myself. Overall, I think your Portfolio is so cool, and hope to come back to it before the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Tabi! I really enjoyed reading your story! At first I felt an odd sense of Déjà vu. Then, I realized this was your Week 11 story as well! Nonetheless, it was still very comical and it made my laugh! It was very creative and I liked the original flavor you brought to it. I still enjoy the banter that Jesus and Dude had throughout the story. They seemed to interact like two really close friends who are always in competition with one another. Along those lines, the language you used for Jesus and Dude was very relatable and made it easy to imagine the conversation. I also liked the reference you had the ball drop on New Year's eve and how you described Dude's excitement as "over the moon". I was wondering who says "he was such a hater"? Is this Walter or Dude? Or is this your own interjection into the story. Either would work, but some clarification would definitely help. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tabitha, your stories certainly are different and very fun. I really enjoyed how you turned the original myth into a new story, while still retaining some of the elements that belonged to the original. The narrator is a little unclear. At first, it seems to be second person POV but it feels more like third person POV. I think the narrator's point-of-view could be more clear, which would be definitely helpful! It is interesting how the narrator treats the characters - making fun of them (the My Little Pony reference, calling Jesus "a hater") - and I think you did a really good job of giving the narrator its voice so that the characters are interesting. Adding in details about the characters, such as Bro's prized toothbrush, was seamlessly added so that the procession of the story felt natural. Making my own writing had a good rhythm is something I have been struggling with myself, so it is helpful to see how others do it and do it well! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these stories are so unique! I didn't know what to expect as I was reading, but after looking through it all, I really enjoyed them. These are so fun and witty, which is my favorite type of read. I can really see your creativity shine as I read through this book. My advice would be to make the narrative a little more clear. I think sometimes the stories were so creative, that they were a little hard to grasp what was happening.
    I think you did a great job making your visions come to life and I think it is awesome how vast and interesting is was. Although there were some parts that I had to re-read because I wasn't quite understanding, I think overall you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Tabi,

    I really liked your web page design! Most everyone else's design had the navigation bar at the top right of the page, but seeing a different design made your project look much more unique! You have a very interesting writing style too! In the Chips and Dip story, I was somewhat confused as to what was going on, but your author's note cleared things up quickly! I have found that I usually have to read the source material to have a full understanding of what's going on in people's projects. Also, excellent link to the chips and dips page. I don't think I will be spending $100 on a heated chips and dip plate, but it was a funny addition to your page. On "Dude's Bowling Ball", you may want to make the end of the story more distinct visually. It just goes right into the author's note, and I didn't realize it at first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My name is Tabitha Carroll. I normally go by Tabi. My major is now marketing. I switched majors this semester from accounting. I have an associates degree in accounting, Spanish, and psychology. I would say that the most interesting thing about my major is that I get to study people and their behaviors. I have always been somewhat of a people watcher, not in a creepy way, but just fascinated by interactions some people have. I have learned quite a bit about people by doing it. I would have to say that this class last semester was my favorite. I did not get to finish due to a close family member passing away, but I enjoyed what I was able to do. I worked the majority of my break at O’Connell’s, where I still work now, so I did not get to do much over the break. IZombie, Supernatural, Dexter, The Punisher, and This is Us are just a few of my favorite TV shows. Sleeping with Other People is the best movie I have seen recently. I would not judge the movie by its name. It is actually roman

Week 2 Story

Adam was the most popular boy in high school. He was the one all the ladies wanted, and all the boys were jealous of. Adam was the definition of perfection. He was intelligent, athletic, and charming. The one boy who hated him the most was Sam. Sam wanted everything that Adam had from the girls falling all over him to Adam’s spot as the quarterback of the football team. It did not help that Adam was also the debate team champion. Sam tried to do everything that Adam did, but never quite measured up. Sam was the third-string quarterback, alternate for every club he was in, and could not get a female to look his way. One day, Sam decided to plot his revenge for always being in Adam’s shadow. Adam was dating Sylvia at the time. Sam had a class with her and asked her to be his partner in chemistry lab. Sam did not think that Sylvia liked Adam that much, so he saw it as a door into Adam’s vulnerability. She was his kryptonite and Sam wanted to make Adam feel weak like he has all these