Skip to main content

Week 15 Story: The Epic Battle

Dude grew up on a small farm outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He spent a large portion of his teenage years helping and supporting his family by getting a part-time job while going to school. His father, Joseph, had been gone for many years on business. Joseph was a very important man who was needed in almost every continent for his special skills in marketing. Dude had to accept this at a young age.  
One day Joseph returned to his family out of the blue with some disappointing news. Joseph met a mermaid who was going to kill him unless he made a deal with her. She made him promise to give up who he had forgotten about while on his business trip. Unfortunately for Dude, the only thing that Joseph thought about on his trip was his wife and business. Dude had to leave and meet up with the mermaid. Joseph gave Dude directions to the ocean where he made the deal.  

Dude set out the next day on his tractor. This was going to be a long journey to the ocean all the way in California. After a month of traveling on his tractor, Dude had finally reached his destination. Arriving sunburnt and tired, Dude walked up to the ocean to meet the mermaid. The mermaid swam in his direction with the sun playing off her scales in such a remarkable way and Dude had never seen something with such beauty in his entire life. Dude fell in love. He decided at that moment that he would do whatever this water princess needed.  

The mermaid told Dude that if he ever wanted to get back to his family or even live that he needed to accomplish two tasks. Dude was in shock. He did not fully grasp the danger that he was in. This mermaid was not a nice lady and every feeling he thought he had for her disappeared when she threatened his life. 

The mermaid continued, "I will only let you live if you can do these two things. First, you must beat Rocky Balboa in a boxing match. After that, you will have to win first place in a fight on Fortnite: Battle Royale. The second one is not an easy task. You will need to play a solo match against one hundred people." 

Dude felt the pressure of his upcoming tasks. Rocky was going to be a piece of cake, but Fortnite... Fortnite is harder than others make it seem. There are different type guns, which are different levels ranging from gray to gold. "I just don't know if I can handle it.," Dude thought.

That night he spent his time in a small dive bar down the way from the ocean. Dude was not ready for the next day. He had to fight Rocky in the morning and a hundred players later that night. While sulking in a bar, he was approached by this beautiful woman named Ariel. Ariel had long red hair and the perfect figure. Dude was at a loss for words.  

Ariel said, "Hey. My name is Ariel. I am sorry to stalk you like this, but my mother told me that she made a deal with this poor unfortunate soul to attain his son and test his abilities. She described the person and from the looks of it, it must be you. I am here to offer my assistance in every way possible to finally get my mermaid tail back. You see, if you defeat my mother, she will leave this ocean and move onto the next. As long as she is in this ocean, I cannot have my tail. She cursed me to land until she is defeated." 

Dude accepted this offer instantly. Not only would he help this beautiful woman, but he will also have a chance to be with a beautiful soon-to-be mermaid, in his dreams, of course. Dude was optimistic. Ariel was so happy that he took the offer and they both said goodnight so that they could prepare for the next day.  

Dude showed up at the boxing arena and stood across the room from his opponent. He instantly became frightened. Ariel had been waiting in the corner for his arrival. Once Ariel saw Dude, she walked quickly over to him.  

Ariel said, "Do not be afraid. There are no rules, so when the fight starts, you will tag me in." 
Dude could not believe what he just heard, but he had faith in her no matter what.  

The match started and Dude tagged Ariel in. At that moment Ariel transformed into a form that Dude had never seen before in his life. Ursula was the largest evil entity in the ocean and Ariel had the power to shapeshift. Dude became terrified and excited. Ariel, in her ugly huge form, attacked Rocky like a spider monkey. He lost and Dude was relieved. 

Now for the hard part, beating one hundred online people in a tremendous battle of skill and wit. Ariel had a plan already of course and she handed Dude bottle of Slurp Juice. Slurp Juice made Dude invincible. Every time Dude downed an enemy, he would do a jig and dance on top of his enemy before he finished him. Dude came out on top in the end.  

Ariel was so happy that they had completed the tasks that she wanted to join Dude when he went back to the ocean to tell her mom the news. The mermaid was sitting there waiting on Dude. She already knew what happened. She was all-knowing. She also knew that her own daughter betrayed her.  
Ariel approached the water and said, "Suck it, mom."  

Dude had never been more in love with anyone in his entire life. He believed that he could make this future relationship work with her even if he had to move to the ocean. For now, he had to return to his family and tell them the good news.
  
To be continued... 



Mermaid

This was a retelling of the story Kojata written by Josef Baudis. This story is in the Czech Folktales unit. You can read it here. In the original story, a king forgets that his wife is pregnant while he has been away. He came upon a lake where a crab with red eyes took hold of his beard and would not let go. The crab made him promise that the crab could have whatever the man is forgetting at home. The king forgot his wife was pregnant twelve years ago when he had left. The prince had to leave and meet up with this creature. The creature said that if he wanted to live that he had to complete three tasks. The daughter of the creature secretly helped the prince complete all three tasks and then they ran back to the prince's family and lived happily ever after. I changed my story to involve a mermaid instead of a crab. I also made Ariel, a Disney character, want the opposite of what she did in "The Little Mermaid." I made the story silly, but it still follows close to the original unlike the prior stories in my portfolio. I wanted to tone down the ridiculousness but keep small silly parts and nerd references. I believe I accomplished that by including Fortnite, which is an extremely popular video game right now. Slurp Juice is a shield potion in the game. I hope you all enjoy my story! Here is a link to my portfolio where you can read this story also. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Tales from the Myth Comments
My name is Tabitha Carroll. I normally go by Tabi. My major is now marketing. I switched majors this semester from accounting. I have an associates degree in accounting, Spanish, and psychology. I would say that the most interesting thing about my major is that I get to study people and their behaviors. I have always been somewhat of a people watcher, not in a creepy way, but just fascinated by interactions some people have. I have learned quite a bit about people by doing it. I would have to say that this class last semester was my favorite. I did not get to finish due to a close family member passing away, but I enjoyed what I was able to do. I worked the majority of my break at O’Connell’s, where I still work now, so I did not get to do much over the break. IZombie, Supernatural, Dexter, The Punisher, and This is Us are just a few of my favorite TV shows. Sleeping with Other People is the best movie I have seen recently. I would not judge the movie by its name. It is actually roman

Week 2 Story

Adam was the most popular boy in high school. He was the one all the ladies wanted, and all the boys were jealous of. Adam was the definition of perfection. He was intelligent, athletic, and charming. The one boy who hated him the most was Sam. Sam wanted everything that Adam had from the girls falling all over him to Adam’s spot as the quarterback of the football team. It did not help that Adam was also the debate team champion. Sam tried to do everything that Adam did, but never quite measured up. Sam was the third-string quarterback, alternate for every club he was in, and could not get a female to look his way. One day, Sam decided to plot his revenge for always being in Adam’s shadow. Adam was dating Sylvia at the time. Sam had a class with her and asked her to be his partner in chemistry lab. Sam did not think that Sylvia liked Adam that much, so he saw it as a door into Adam’s vulnerability. She was his kryptonite and Sam wanted to make Adam feel weak like he has all these